So you've decided to throw your little one a birthday party and the list of things to do is ever growing.
Here's a beautifully simple, one bowl birthday cake recipe that can be completed in no time at all so you can get on with the other important stuff!
So far as equipment goes, you will need;
- 1 x large mixing bowl
- 2 x 20cm round sandwich cake tins
- 1 x Whisk (hand powered or electric)
- 1 x Sieve
- 1 x Scales
And for the cake;
- 225g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 225g room temperature margarine (replace with dairy free spread of choice if allergies/intolerances are a concern)
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (Replace with extract of choice for a different flavour)
- 2 tsp milk (replace with dairy free milk of choice if allergies/intolerances are a concern)
- Turn your oven to 150ºC
- Line your sandwich tins with baking paper
- Weigh out all your ingredients (this step is highly advised as measuring as you go gives way to mistakes)
- Add the margarine and sugar to the mixing bowl and whisk together until light and fluffy
- Add the extract and whisk until fully combined
- Add one egg at a time to the margarine/sugar blend and whisk after each addition until each egg is completely mixed in
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the cake mix in four parts, whisking after each addition until the flour is fully combined
- Mix in the two teaspoons of milk
- Pour the batter into the two cake tins evenly
- Place the tins in the oven for 30 minutes. You can check that the cake is fully baked by inserting a tooth pick into the middle of the cake, if it comes out clean your cake is complete.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack to cool for a further 20-30 minutes
- Once completely cooled, decorate!
Once your cake is complete you can decorate however you like, perhaps a simple jam and buttercream filling or ganache your cake and cover with fondant.
Whatever you choose, your little one is bound to love it!